About Me

My photo
Homer, NY, United States
Sarcastic, but loving single divorced mother to 6 beautiful sons. 5 here in my arms and one forever alive in my heart.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sock Monkey and Hand Spun Alpaca Yarn!

Been working my tail off to get my son Joseph's sock monkey done. Finally got it knit using KnitPicks Stroll Sock Yarn on size 1 needles. I must admit it was my first sock monkey and I probably should have followed a pattern. I was determined however once I started to make my own no matter how many times I had to tink and work my own pattern. Once I was finished he picked out some sport weight acrylic leftover yarn from my stash for the sweater and shorts. After all was said and done, I realized I was a crappy embroiderer!!! Oh how I tried to give that sock monkey a kiss on the hiney and eyes and lips...to no avail!!! I ended up asking for suggestions and got a really great one...I used felt for the eyes and nose and it looks so adorable!!! It is about 15 inches long all together.

I have also been working on 2 huge batts of alpaca roving...on my spindle. I had a dark grey and a light grey. My original intention was to spin them, ply the 2 colors together and knit a pair of diaper soakers for my 4 month old son Joshua. This project has also proven to take over a month and that is just to get the yarn spun!!! I forget just how little time I have to do my crafts anymore with 5 children, school and a household to take care of!!! Last night my youngest went to sleep a bit earlier than normal and since I already had all my housework and dishes done I sat down and spun for 4 hours finishing the remainder of the 2 batts. I was so happy!!! I have decided against plying them together, instead I am going to knit with the single ply and felt them. I cannot remember for the life of me where I got this particular alpaca from and I wish I remembered the name of the place so I could link to them here... I can however link the awesome Grandeur Spindle from Yorkieslave on Etsy.
Now....... wonder how long it will take me to actually find time to get the soakers knit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment